WSP Press Release | August 1, 2019
Kitsap County – Nineteen dangerous sexual predators who targeted children in Kitsap County were removed from the streets, thanks to a multi-day operation run by the Washington State Patrol (WSP) and several partner agencies.
Dubbed “Operation Net Nanny,” this is the 16th operation spearheaded by the WSP’s Missing and Exploited Children Task Force (MECTF), an Internet Crimes Against Children affiliate. Since the original operation in August 2015, MECTF has netted a total of 271 arrests and rescued more than 31 children across the state.
The funding for this operation was made possible due in part by support from the public as well as a generous donation from Operation Underground Railroad (O.U.R.). O.U.R. is a non-profit 501(c)(3) who shares the mission of law enforcement agencies to save children and see that child predators are arrested and prosecuted. O.U.R. is privileged and honored to partner with our nation’s law enforcement heroes in this important cause to combat the sexual exploitation of children in our nation’s communities.
MECTF’s primary mission is to proactively target those persons involved in child abuse and child exploitation via the internet. “This operation is aimed at protecting our vulnerable children. We will not rest in our efforts to make Washington communities safer and appreciate our partners in this important work” says WSP Chief John R. Batiste.
From July 25, 2019 to July 29, 2019, undercover law enforcement officers used various websites on the internet and phone applications to communicate with people interested in having sex with children. The operation generated hundreds of responses. The would-be perpetrators who were arrested during the operation traveled to meet with the undercover detectives posing as underage girls and boys with the intent to engage in sexual activity with children as young as six years old.
Primary crimes investigated are:
- RCW 9A.44.073 – Rape of a child in the first degree – attempt
- RCW 9A.44.076 – Rape of a child in the second degree – attempt
- RCW 9.68A.100 – Commercial sexual abuse of a minor
- RCW 9.68A.090 – Communication with a minor for immoral purposes
The names of the individuals arrested during the operation are:
- Joseph T. McCarthy, 23, Maple Valley
- Anthony J. Tangonan, 24, Bremerton
- Owen T. Shreve, 27, Poulsbo
- Hector C Escobar, 26, Lakewood
- Jordan M. Kaufman, 24, Port Orchard
- Kendall N Spann, 25, Bremerton
- Bradley D Petrie, 21, Bremerton
- Skyler L Barkdull, 20, Tacoma
- Timmothy A Hoskinson, 49, Bremerton
- David Bagby, 39, Port Orchard
- Mathew E Sanches, 25, Tacoma
- Zachary M. Drouin, 26, Olalla
- Dominic J. McGill, 27, Lynnwood
- Reid A. Weeks, 64, Woodland
- Noah A. LaFountaine, 22, Bremerton
- Jason C. Steele, 46, Seattle
- Travan T. Tagaloa, 33, Bremerton
- B. A. Youngblood Simpson, 26, Bremerton
- Jimmy S. Howard, 46, Bremerton.
“The number of arrests made during this operation is extremely disappointing,” said Bremerton Police Department Chief Jim Burchett. “I hope that someday we conduct an operation like this and no one responds. Until that time, we will continue taking proactive steps to keep our kids safe, including partnering with the Washington State Patrol Missing and Exploited Children Task Force in the outstanding work they do in protecting children from predators.”
Anyone with information related to the suspects listed, or information leading to the identity of victims potentially involved in these cases please contact MECTF at email@example.com.
“The Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office will continue targeting those persons who engage in victimizing the most vulnerable members of our communities, our children, through sexual abuse and human trafficking,” said Kitsap County Sheriff Gary Simpson. “Working as part of the WSP task force optimizes our investigative and enforcement capabilities ten-fold, which assists us in holding these perpetrators accountable for their actions.”
The collaborative effort involving more than 60 dedicated law enforcement officers, agents, and staff led to the success of this operation. Those agencies involved include:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation’s South Sound Child Exploitation Task Force
- Homeland Security Investigations
- Naval Criminal Investigative Service
- Bremerton Police Department
- West Sound Narcotics Enforcement Team
- Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office
- Jefferson County Sherriff’s Office
- Washington State Attorney General’s Office
- Washington State Patrol High-Tech Crime Unit
- Washington State Patrol Criminal Investigation Division
- Washington State Patrol Field Operation Bureau
- Washington State Patrol Missing and Unidentified Persons Unit
- Washington State Patrol Missing and Exploited Children Task Force (MECTF)
- Washington State Patrol Fusion Center
- Kitsap County Prosecutor’s Office
- Maui Police Department ~ Hawaii
- Alabama Attorney General Office